The Mission House
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

Following ministerial studies at Yale, Reverend John Sergeant moved to the south Berkshires to establish a mission for a group of Mohicans who settled in Stockbridge. He lived in a simple cabin until he married Abigail Williams in 1739 and built a new house on the hill, now called the Mission House. Inherited by their son, Dr. Erastus Sergeant, the house was updated in the 1760s with an elaborate Connecticut River Valley doorway. The Sergeant family lived here until 1867, after which time it fell into disrepair.

This National Historic Landmark was carefully disassembled, moved, and restored by Miss Mabel Choate at its present location on Main Street between 1926 and 1927. The house contains an outstanding collection of eighteenth-century American furniture and decorative arts.

Between 1928 and 1933, noted landscape architect Fletcher Steele designed the Colonial Revival garden, which features a colonial-style dooryard garden of circular brick paths enclosed by a tidewater cypress fence.

A replica of an old cobbler shop serves as the entrance to the property. A grape arbor in the Well Courtyard behind the Mission House leads to a small Native American museum that tells the story of the Mohicans.

Directions: From intersection of Routes 7 and 102 at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge center, take Route 102 (Main Street) west .2 mile to Sergeant Street on right.

House open: Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day: Daily. Hours: 10 am to 5 pm. Guided Tours. Indian Museum. Admission fee for non-members. For information, call (413) 298-3239.

The Trustees of Reservations is dedicated to preserving properties of exceptional scenic, historic and ecological value throughout the Commonwealth. Founded in 1891, it is a non-profit conservation organization and relies for support entirely upon membership dues, admission fees and voluntary contributions. The Mission House, one of the 83 properties of The Trustees, is a National Historic Landmark.

Join The Trustees of Reservations and help support the management of properties like The Mission House. For membership information, please contact:

The Trustees of Reservations
Western Regional Office
The Mission House
P.O. Box 792, Sergeant Street
Stockbridge, MA 01262
(413) 298-3239

www.thetrustees.org


Return to Index || The Mission House || The William Cullen Bryant Homestead || Naumkeag || The Colonel John Ashley House || Field Farm || Tyringham Cobble || Notchview || McLennan Reservation || Monument Mountain || Bartholomew's Cobble


BerkshireWeb



info@berkshireweb.com