The William Cullen Bryant Homestead
A tree-lined drive leads the visitor back in time to the boyhood home and later summer residence of William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878), one of America's foremost literary figures.
Set on a hillside, the Homestead looks over the valley of the Westfield River with views of the Hampshire Hills beyond. Built in 1785, it is filled with Bryant's furnishings and momentoes of his lifetime.
For many summers the noted editor and poet returned to this congenial retreat in Cummington which inspired some of his finest verse. Those who visit the Homestead today will find the refreshment of spirit it gave him.
DirectionsFrom the intersection of Routes 9 and 112 south 1.5 mile. At five-way intersection, go straight on Bryant Road .2 mile. Entrance on right. Parking area.
Open last Friday in June through Labor Day: Fri., Sat., Sun. and holidays. Labor Day through Columbus Day: Sat., Sun. and holidays. 1 to 5 pm. Free to members of The Trustees of Reservations. Admission fee for non-members. Guided tours. Group tours by reservation only. For information, call (413) 634-2244.
The Trustees of Reservations is dedicated to preserving properties of exceptional scenic, historic and ecological value throughout the Commonwealth. Founded in 1891, it is a non-profit conservation organization and relies for support entirely upon membership dues, admission fees and voluntary contributions. The William Cullen Bryant Homestead, one of the 83 properties of The Trustees, is a National Historic Landmark.
Join The Trustees and help support the management of properties like The William Cullen Bryant Homestead.
For more information about membership in The Trustees of Reservations, please contact:
The Trustees of Reservations