Edmond Quincy, Esq. of the Great and General Court, announced in 1735 that there were four towns open for settlement along the road to Westfield and Sheffield. New Marlborough was laid out as township #2 in June 1737. Its first settler was Benjamin Wheeler who had drawn lot No. 25 of seventy two drawn for by settlers in December 1737. The center of New Marlborough Village was established early as an agriculturally-based community south of Dry Hill. The settlements at Hartsville, Mill River and Southfield resulted because of available water power. The Konkapot River along a three mile stretch through Mill River powered as many as fifteen mills at different times.