Entering Clarksburg
Mohawk Trail
Northern Berkshires Chamber of Commerce
Real Estate
Wine & Dine
Clark Cemetery
Musterfield House
Clarksburg State Forest
Farmer's Glassworks
The Map
Enter New Content
Home


Clarksburg, Massachusetts 01247

Settlement of Clarksburg began in 1769 with Captain Matthew Ketchum, Colonel William Bullock and Nicholas Clark, the latter for whom the town was named. The agricultural interests of the early settlers dictated their settlement in the relatively level areas to the west of Route 8 and along upper reaches of the North Branch of the Hoosic River.

The settlement of Briggsville began in the early 19th century and included four mills by 1829. Briggsville expanded about 1866 with the construction of Linwood Woolen Company, a brick mill to weave cashmere. In 1885 Linwood employed 140 persons, and the village had two stores, a grist mill, saw mill and a new brick school. The town also had three powder mills which produced $36,000 worth of black gunpowder between 1861 and 1869. The E. R. Tinker powder mill exploded in May of 1869 ending production of that product.

Historic Preservation Report




BerkshireWeb



info@berkshireweb.com