Entering Cheshire
Wine & Dine
Real Estate
Cheese Press
Solomon Cole House
Graveyards
Hoosac Lake
The Map
Enter New Content
Home


Cheshire, Massachusetts  01230

North Berkshire Township Number 6 was purchased by Nicholas Cook and Joseph Bennett, both of Rhode Island, in 1766. This tract was later divided into parts of Savoy, Lanesborough, Adams and Cheshire. The investor hired Colonel Joab Stafford to survey their holdings. Stafford purchased 396 acres and included the Low, Wells, Brown, Carpenter, Jenkes, Mason, Bliss, Tibbets and Cowmans families to settle with him on what is today Stafford Hill, then New Providence. Colonel Stafford was to later distinguish himself at the Battle of Bennington in 1777. The Stafford Hill Monument was erected in 1927 by the Massachusetts Sons of the American Revolution on his gravesite.

Cheshire received its name with incorporation in 1793. A year earlier, Elder John LeLand arrived to preach and later to become a national political figure. He was responsible for making and presenting a 1,450 pound cheese to President Jefferson in 1801. The population gradually shifted toward the present village to use the available water power from the Hoosic River. The Berkshire Iron Furnace, Dean Saw Mill and the Cheshire Shoe Factory assisted its economic development. Yet, the Crown Glass Company employed the most people. Some of the earliest plate glass in Massachusetts was made there. After glass -making ceased, the high quality sand was exported to glassmakers elsewhere, including those in Sandwich.

Historic Preservation Report




BerkshireWeb



info@berkshireweb.com