Entering Adams
Where To Stay
Northern Berkshires Chamber of Commerce
Wine & Dine
Real Estate
Calendar
Culture
Enter New Content
Parks & Recreation
The Map
Home
Sports


Adams, Massachusetts  01220

Adams and North Adams were one town until 1878. They both began as East Hoosuck Plantation which was first surveyed in 1739 by Nathan Kellogg. Fort Massachusetts’ fall in 1745 discouraged settlement of the northern areas of Berkshire County until after the French and Indian War. East Hoosuck was sold to Nathan James, Eliza Jones and John Murray as proprietors for settlement in 1762. It was incorporated as Adams in 1778, named after Samuel Adams of Boston.

Early settlements occurred on each side of the Hoosic River along Notch Road, Friend Street and West Road on the west, and East Road and Bowen’s Corners on the east. During the eighteen hundreds it was a rapidly growing textile mill town. Even with the division of Adams into two town ships in 1878, they still became the second and third largest communities in the county.

Local Preservation Activities Report




BerkshireWeb



info@berkshireweb.com